Dec 9, 2011

Style Idol: Helena Bonham Carter

Hail to the Queen! 
The first in Carnivale Salt's style idol series is the illustrious Helena Bonham Carter. There are few public figures with personal styles as exciting as this 45-year-old actress. A little bit grunge, a little bit gothy, a large dose of Victorian opulence, peppered with an unmatched sense of humor.

Photos by Gustavo Papaleo

I am fascinated by Helena's look: she's not conventionally beautiful, and has never tried to fit into an ideal for the media. On the contrary, she is well known for appearing as-is in public, flaunting her physical imperfections and her eccentricities of style. She refuses to use a stylist for red carpet events and  Her rejection of convention only serves to make her more beautiful and inspiring!

Campaign for Marc Jacobs s/s 2011
(As an aside, I'm really obsessed with these hats)

Mostly for Marc Jacobs 2011 (and more of those wacky hats)


Photographer Unknown


Photographer Unknown (if you know, please tell me!)

I love this photo shoot especially because it simultaneously captures a romantic, kind of delicate Victorian beauty, while still being just a little bit grungy. I love her messy hair and her chunky docs underneath tons of ruffles and embroidery. So cheeky! 

Photographer Unknown

She appears a lot in high-fashion editorials and is well known for publicly supporting the likes of Vivienne Westwood and Marc Jacobs among others. Off-camera, her easy going street style is thought of my many as pretty crazy, but I really like it. Somehow she manages to make looking like you just got out of bed pretty awesome. 

Helena likes pedicabs! Woo!

How does she manage to look classy even when 
looking a bit like a homeless woman? 

Random Paparazzi photoz from FYEAHHBC on Tumblr

On the silver screen, Helena rocks costuming so hard. The vacation scene in Sweeney Todd is one of my favorite bits of costuming/on-screen fashion of any movie. Obviously, HBC isn't responsible for these looks, but here are a few anyway for eye candy. 

As Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd (2007)

As Bellatrix Lestrange in Harry Potter

And what will undoubtedly be my new favorite costume moment.... 

As Miss Havisham in the upcoming adaptation of Great Expectations (2012)

What do you think of Helena Bonham Carter's style? Do you love it? Hate it? Comments are always welcome.
See you next time!

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely LOVE Helena's style! And I love her herself even more! She really is just incredible! Love her SO much! I've looked up to Helena Bonham Carter for ages, and will continue to do so! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I really hope I'm lucky enough to work with her some day.

      Delete
  2. Just love everything about her!!!!

    Her style, her hair, her acting and her views ! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I also love her style! (Obviously :D) As to the costumes, sure, they may be designed by other people, but she just rocks them the right way. For example Bellatrix Lestrange- played by someone else than Helena she could've been a much different character, dressed completely differently! I especially like her in Tim Burton movies, due to the fact that most of her outfits then (like in Sweeney Todd, Alice in Wonderland, Big Fish) are designed by Colleen Atwood, whom I absolutely adore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely. I cannot say for certain, but I would guess that many of the things she wears on screen are designed for her, rather than just for the character. I'd be curious to sit in on a fitting with her and Ms. Atwood and see what their dialogue is like. Colleen Atwood is definitely one of my favorite costume designers working today, and HBC brings her garments to life like no other (except now maybe Charlize Theron :P).

      Delete